Whether or not you’re expecting this type of interview – it’s advisable to run through the list and prepare answers, providing examples is the easiest way for the interviewer to understand how you handle situations.
The advantage of using real examples is that the answer will be unique – the interviewer will not have heard this response before!
Practice competency based interview questions
Communication and Interpersonal
- What do you consider the most effective way to communicate information to a group of people & why?
- Tell me about handling work within a difficult environment
- How do you/would you handle conflict with a supervisor?
- How do you rate your skills in delivering presentations?
Planning and organisation
- How do you keep organised?
- How do you prioritise your day?
- Tell me about your goals?
- How do you overcome obstacles to your plan?
- How do you handle unrealistic timelines?
- Tell me about a decision/problem that you would have handled differently
- Describe a situation where you’ve had to use effective problem solving skills
- Tell me about your experiences with team-based problem solving
- How important do you think problem solving skills would be to this position?
- When faced with a problem you don’t know how to solve, what steps do take to tackle it?
- How would you handle a team member who is not pulling their weight?
- Describe how you promote teamwork on your projects
- Tell me about your most successful team project
- What makes a team work well?
- What strengths do you bring to a team?
- How do you keep up to date with industry trends?
- Tell me about a time you used industry knowledge to contribute to your own work
- What technologies did you use on your most recent project?
- How would you rate yourself on [name of technology]?
- Are there any technologies/softwares you don’t use that you’d like to?
- Are there any technologies/softwares you use that you wouldn’t want to in a future roles?
- How do you define leadership?
- What do you consider the key attributes of an effective leader to be?
- In your last/current role, what actions did you take to make sure you managed the team effectively?
- Describe a time you dealt with conflict within your team
- What is the most difficult decision you’ve had to make and why?